Friday, July 20, 2007

Where has the time gone??


So much to tell. As some of you may know - I sprained my left ankle on the 12th of July. Yep, a trip to the local doctor. I was just walking and the pavement is really uneven here and I was looking around, next thing, wham I was down. But I'm ok - just a little rattled. I spent the weekend resting so I would be ready for summer's arrival.

Summer arrived on Monday, July 16, it was so wonderful to see her. We drove around and ended up at Hilo Hatties. A big store which specializes in Hawaiian Aloha attire. They also have a place where you can select an oyster and have them open it up to see if there is a pearl inside. We did that and Summer got a big pink pearl and I got a black one. They are pretty cool. Then we were off to the apartment where she settled in (A whole 5 seconds) then we were off to the beach. I showed her the International Market Place, a place with a lot of local wares and each store has the same stuff, but its fun to walk around. We ate at the local Cheesecake Factory and sat street side. It was really fun, especially when the birds flew by your table. Some would just walk up to our table and Summer got really annoyed. We stayed up and visited, but we have a busy day ahead.

Tuesday, July 17 we are on a circle Island Tour. It was very different from the tour I had taken two weeks ago. Different bus driver. Long day - going to bed.

Wednesday, July 18 we get up at 4:00am - We are going to the North Shore of Oahu so Summer can do a "shark dive". Yes, I said Shark. She gets into a shark cage which is lowered into the Pacific Ocean and the crew tosses fish pieces into the water and the sharks come. This was so cool to see - from the boat - I kind of wish now that I had done it too. I'll post pictures soon. After her adventure we went to Waimea Bay and sat on the beach for a while. We watched people jump off this huge chunk of lava rock and dive 30 or 40 feet off the cliff into the waters. Here we also saw dolphins jumping, twisting and playing in the water. The life guard got on the PA to remind the swimmers that the dolphin are federally protected and it is illegal to bother them, some are nursing, some come to heal their wounds and some to relax after swimming in the ocean... He also said that sometimes the dolphin are follwed by predators (sharks) so be careful. Up to that point we were looking at the backs of the swimmers heads, and as soon as he said sharks, we were looking at their faces and they were swimming really fast!! It was so funny! We got back to the room - took a nap and then went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. Later on we went to see a local show at the Waikiki Outrigger Hotel called the Society of Seven. It was like being in Vegas. These second generation musicians, all Hawaiian, they put on a show impersonating people like Elvis, the Beatles, Sonny and Cher, James Brown, the Rat Pack, it started off dorky but as we sat there it did get pretty entertaining.

Thursday, July 19 - Summer went to the beach and I rested because today we go to the Polyensian Culture Center on the other side of the island. It should only take us about and hour or so to get there. It's really hot and humid here today. We leave around 12:30 pm. Well we take off and start driving on the interstate - traffic jam - we spend the next 30 minutes or so to go 4 miles. Ok we gotta get gas so we stop and get gas and something to munch on, since we skipped lunch. Ok on to the Likelike Highway and thru the tunnel to the other side of the island - the GPS then says TURN LEFT - ok, drive .4 miles then turn left, drive .5 miles and turn left. Now if you think about it - 2 left turns and you are going back in the direct from which you came....through the tunnel again, now we are lost. No problem, I trust the GPS, or do I? We drive just like it says - guess where we ended up? Back at the same gas station. LOL It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to the PCC. We ditched the GPS and found our own way. The PCC has so much to see but the best part was while we were there, Elder Utchburg, one of the 12 Apostles from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was visiting the PCC. I got to meet him and have a photo taken with him. I can't wait to post these pictures. We saw him off and on the remainder of the day and then again at the Luau. We saw a fantastic show of native dances put on by the kids attending Brigham Young University Hawaii. This was defintely a banner day for me in my life.

Friday, July 20. We went snorkling at Hanauma Bay. This is a freaky thing to do if you've never done it before. But once you get the hang of it, no problem man. Summer and I just cruised around the bay for the next few hours. We used alot of sunscreen, it was hot. Then there was time for a quick nap and then we were off again, this time to go parasailing! This was right up my alley. Summer didn't like it too well, but I loved it. In fact I loved it so much I went twice. A young man from Canada needed a partner - so of course I volunteered. If yu ever get a chance to do this - do it! In fact if you ever get to Hawaii - try everything! It is a blast. So now we are off to dinner and to the Borders Bookstore to wait for the Harry Potter book.

More later!
Aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We went to Pearl Harbor Saturday morning. Love ya Ma.