Monday, November 5, 2007

November 2007


Happy November! It’s time for my monthly update.

First off, let me say, I still love Colorado. We had a “light dusting” of snow a couple of weeks ago. It was on a Sunday morning and I was like a little kid. In fact, you would probably have a hard time telling us apart that morning. We jumped out of bed and started getting dressed as fast as we could so we could go outside and play. The two dogs were running around like crazy, Kailyn and I were playing tossing snowballs and watching the dogs chase each other around. It was great big flakes and so clean and white. Patrick started the wood stove and we warmed up and enjoyed watching the snow fall that morning. By that afternoon, it was sunny, the roads were clear and it was warming up. Reminded me of Tucson and how it’ll snow that morning and be clear by 11am. Who knew the first snow would be so much fun for me. Ask me how I like the snow come January and it maybe a different story.

I am still looking for a job. My temp assignment at the Law Firm ended and that left me bummed out. But as things would have it, the temp agency found me another job. The funny part is, it is in the same building downtown, just on the 8th floor. I really like this job too and it may turn into something permanent.



Now, working in Downtown Denver is an experience that one must experience to enjoy living in a big city. They have a Light Rail System that runs all around the city and leads to popular places like Downtown Denver, Coors Field (Where the Rockies lost the World Series), Invesco Field (Where the Broncos lose, a lot ) . Well on my route from Littleton to Downtown Denver, I see some pretty cool things. I drive to the RTD parking lot (this is free!) I need to get there early so I can get a parking spot so I arrive around 6:45am.....yes folks, you heard it here first, I get up before the chickens now....quit laughing! Ok so I walk up to this cute little coffee shop called “Romancing the Bean” it’s in the old train station and is so quaint. Then I head down the stairs to purchase my ticket. Ok this is better than parking in downtown Denver, parking can cost from $10 to $20 dollars a day, no wonder this form of public transportation is so well received. So, I’m standing on the platform, in the dark, in the cold, with 50 or so other people who are carrying backpacks. I’m the only one without a backpack. I have my purse and a plastic bag from the grocery store with my lunch in it. I gotta look into getting me a backpack. Ok so here comes the train, cute little thing - four cars, plenty of room for standing, I’ve done that a few times, but as luck would have it, there’s a seat and I’m going to get it. The seats aren’t that comfy, its just a short ½ hour commute but I am riding backwards. Doesn’t do too well for the equilibrium, gotta see where I am going . Ok our first stop is the wonderful City of Sheridan, big whoop, my car got paint balled here a few weeks ago, thats why I changed stops. Our next stop is Englewood Civic Center, here they have some wonderful sculptures out front. There’s a big, huge parking lot and this is where most of the passengers get on board. Toot Toot! Next stop, Evans, ah, just a cute little stop nothing fancy, just some old homes to look at, and the architecture in this city is amazing. No flat roofs, no adobe, nothing ugly like that - just brick and angled roofs, with cute windows, really old fashioned homes. Now as we proceed to the next stop, you can look to your left and see the football stadium. By the looks of it, this place is made of all metal. Hmmm, with my experience with metal, it gets really hot and retains the heat, but in the cold, it retains the cold. Who’s dumb idea was it to make a stadium out of metal. I don’t’ think I’ll be visiting it anytime soon, unless the Bronco’s decide to show up and win a game. Ok the next few stops aren’t so interesting since they take us under the highway and around the corner to Denver Community College, this is where most of the kids get off to go to school. Next is the Denver Convention Center and Performing Arts, on this part of the trip you see some incredible sculptures, one looks like a stack of yellow french fries, another looks like a curly Q, there is a pair of huge people dancing, then we turn the corner and my favorite, a big blue bear looking into the Convention Center. We pass Bubba Gump’s and on into downtown. Here, there are people bundled up, walking at a hurried pace headed to their offices, Starbucks in hand and even though the pace is so fast, they have time to smile and maybe say a kind word, or even joke about how dark it is or how darn cold that wind is today. When you ride public transportation, I feel it brings people together, you meet nice people riding next to someone for a ½ an hour. Or you can listen to some pretty funny conversations too. All in all, I like working in Downtown Denver.



To sum things up, I also got an apartment. It’s a little hole in the wall, but it was time for me to be on my own again. I appreciate everything that Maggie and Patrick did for me. But I’m too old to be hanging around a young married couple with a six year old. I have raised my daughter, I have had my own experiences having a marriage and family. I didn’t want to over stay my welcome, so out into the world I go. It isn’t a fancy apartment and by some standards it’s pretty ghetto looking, but its home and I can afford this place and maybe I can even save some money so I can buy a house next year. My biggest brag about this place is that I GOT CABLE!! And I get to have the remote!! The biggest part, I DON”T HAVE TO WATCH SPONGEBOB SQUARE PANTS anymore!

So life is good and I’m having fun being independent again. Oh, I also changed my number to a Colorado number, it’s looks better on my resume, so if you’d like it, just e-mail me and I’ll be happy to give it to you along with my new address.

Take care all! And have a Blessed Thanksgiving!

Kerri Lynn

No comments: